Benny is an employee of Saxelby Cheesemongers at Essex Street Market. Growing up, Benny’s Family raised turkeys. One grew so fat that it could no longer walk, so it was slaughtered in the name of thanksgiving dinner. Unfortunately, this bird was so large that he did not fit in the oven!
Serves 20 | Cook Time 5 ½ hours
30 Pound Turkey
4 Tablespoons of Butter
Stuffing or Aromatics of Your Choice (Onions, Carrots etc.)
A Nearby Volume Kitchen (Benny chose a boarding school kitchen)
1. Preheat the oven to 325℉.
2. Remove the neck and giblets from the cavity. Dry the turkey with paper towels, then season it inside and out with salt and pepper. Fill the turkey with your favorite stuffing or choice of aromatics.
3. When the volume kitchen has vacated, sneak in and cook that turkey!
4. Place the turkey breast-side up in a roasting pan and brush with melted butter. Tent with foil and roast for 4 ½ hours.
5. Remove the foil, baste with more melted butter and turn up the oven to 425℉. Roast for another hour or until the meat at the thigh registers 165℉.
You may end up with leftovers to last a full year