This recipe was collected at the Laguardia Senior Center and was included as number 4 in our public video installation, Fables.
Serves The Whole Bingo Gang | Cook Time 30 minutes
10 Ounces of Corn Meal
1 Teaspoon of Salt
3 Tablespoon of Sugar
1 Tablespoon of Butter
2 Cups of Water
2 Cups of Oil (for frying)
1. In a small saucepan, bring to a boil the water, salt, sugar and butter.
2. Turn the heat down to low, add one cup of the cornmeal and mix well with a whisk.
3. Using a spatula, add the remaining cornmeal until well incorporated. It should be very thick, dry enough for you to handle easily by hand. Add more cornmeal if necessary.
4. Let it cool down a bit before handling.
5. Form the sorullitos by scooping about three tablespoons, forming a ball first, then rolling on your hand into a stick about three inches long (7 cm).
6. Heat the oil, and fry until they achieve a deep yellow color.
7. Serve warm.
Instead of sticks, shape them into small rounds if you prefer.