Recipe provided by Marisa Miller Wolfson of the film and web site GetVegucated.com and her collaborator Laura Delhauer.
Serves 8 | Cook Time 40 minutes
2 Cans of Chickpeas (Rinsed & Drained)
2 Tablespoon Safflower or Canola Oil
1 Tablespoon Earth Balance
4 - 5 Stalks of Celery, Washed and Diced
2 or 3 Large Carrots, Peeled and Diced
8 Cups of Vegetable Broth
½ of a 12 Ounce Box of Pasta Stars
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Rinse and drain chickpeas, then toss them with oil and sprinkle with sea salt in a roasting pan.Roast at 375 for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, sauté celery & carrots with earth balance (and possibly a dash of oil to keep them from sticking) for 3 - 5 minutes (until veggies become fragrant).
4. Add veggie broth, stir and bring to a boil.
5. Add chickpeas when they are ready.
6. Lower heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 25 minutes.
7. 10 mins before soup is done, boil water in a small pot and add pasta stars. Stars should cook in about 5 mins (but don't over cook stars, as you'll be adding them to hot soup).
8. Rinse and drain pasta stars and add them to soup.
9. Remove soup from heat, stir, garnish with parsley (if you wish) and serve!